TTCRD Nov-Dec 2017 Sneak Peek!

Monday, August 29, 2016

Paper Temptress Japanese Screen

Hello, fellow crafty peeps! Today I want to share with you my project, a Japanese Screen...in miniature version, of course! I used all Paper Temptress paper. I bought the wooden screen at Hobby Lobby with my 40% coupon (gotta love that!). I knew I wanted them to be black, of course, and I already had plans on what I was going to use as the "screen". So, I was quite excited to get started. Usually when I use a digital on a project, I color it first. But this time I needed to do my painting so it could be drying while I was coloring.

I had already bought a small bottle of chalk paint. At the time, I had no clue what I was going to use it with, but when I saw the screen, I knew it would work great on the wood. After painting it with the first coat, I began my coloring using a digital by MoonFlowerDigiStamps called Sakura Maiden. By the time I was able to get back to my screen, it was dried enough so that I could put on the 2nd coat of paint. I then got my Heavy Weight Vellum out, measured the openings for the background of the dogwoods, and cut them out. My first thought was, "What do I use to attach them to the screen?" Well, I have to say....while some may totally do it differently, for me it was time to get my Mod Podge out. I spread it on the back of the dogwoods and proceeded to lay each vellum piece down. TIP: I found that NOT putting mod podge on the paper worked much better than on the paper itself. How do I know? Oh, the mess I made doing it, that's how! ;-) I hot glued small beaded trim around the edges of the paper to help stabilize the paper. My next step was to put mod podge all around the black to give the chalk a sealant.

I used Re-entry RedEclipse Black, and Silver Lustre to make my flowers and cut pieces of the black beads for the centers of my flowers. So, it was time to decorate. I glued my embellishments on with the mod podge, including my digital, Antique White Wings butterflies I cut out, the Japanese lettering which I also cut out, and all the other embellishments. I used the Emeraude for the leaves. Again, everything was sealed, including the digital, with Mod Podge as a sealant. I'm thinking of perhaps using Mod Podge acrylic spray sealant on it also...I also used Diamond Glass Glitter and the red/black butterflies from Reneabouquets to accent parts of the digital ounitfit and bottom flowers, putting them on with Glossy Accents. Here is my project:
I hope you enjoy this project! Please join us! Every day there's a new designer with a new project! And be sure to visit us on the Facebook page!

Blessings, Jeanie Ellis - Scrapbookingmamaw

Entered into the following challenge(s):
Decorate to Celebrate - Anything Goes 
Come and Get It - Black & White plus One 

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Jeanie. Love the beautiful "screen" and the lovely image. Beautiful colour combo!
    Hugs,
    Lena

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a cute Japanese screen. Thank you for joining us at Come And Get It challenge. Bunny DT

    ReplyDelete